Product Added : October 23rd, 2012
Category : Sports & Outdoors
"This Best Selling Camelbak Eddy Bottle Tends to SELL OUT VERY FAST! If this is a MUST HAVE product, be sure to Order Now to avoid disappointment!"
The Bottle that started it all continues its dominance of the hard sided bottle market with even more color options than ever.
Here is a little background information-
For several years now, I have been using the Camelbak better bottles with bite valves (previous version of the Eddy). I use them everyday and take them practically everywhere I go. The no-tilt, spill-proof design has made drinking water effortless and convenient. Needless to say, they pay for themselves in a matter of weeks. Every friend or family member that has tried a Camelbak bottle has also fallen in love!
There are 2 major complaints I have with the older version:
1. Two of my bottles with a blue bite valve have limited, slow flow.
2. The flip plastic piece is prone to breakage. I broke one by dropping it in the parking garage from arms length. (Luckily, Camelbak will kindly and promptly send you a new cap if this does happen with no questions asked – their customer service is awesome, and they stick by their lifetime guarantee!)
The new Eddy bottle fixes both of these issues:
1. The new bite valve and wider straw allow for a smoother, faster flow and make thirsty drinkers like me very happy.
2. The flip mechanism is now made of rubber meaning you can throw this bottle pretty much against anything without breaking any part.
Now, I will address the other negative reviews-
As the original Camelbak water bottle had so many passionate users, it is natural for this new version to be criticized for minor changes. When you first get the bottle, opening and closing the bite valve may feel stiff and require a little more force. However, it loosens up after you break it in with use for a few days or so. Now, I can easily open it with one hand, one finger. Also, when you first get the bottle, make sure the slit in the bite valve is open – a gentle squeeze will do the trick if it is not already open. Biting the valve to drink may initially feel awkward, but you will soon realize it actually encourages you to drink more water.
As for your fingers touching the bite valve, it does so ever so slightly depending on how you open the bite valve and only touches the very bottom of the bite valve where your mouth does not normally touch. The mold issue within the bite valve may happen if you neglect to clean your water bottle for long periods of time, but the straw and rubber bite valve do both snap off for easier cleaning. The top or bottom dishwasher rack is fine for the bottle itself, but I do recommend hand cleaning the cap and bite valve whenever possible.
Please note that the bottle may be larger than many cup holders. Per my measurements, the bottom of the 0.75 liter bottle is 3 inches (7.6cm) wide and the bottom of the 1 liter bottle is 3.375 inches (8.6cm) wide. I don’t own the 0.6 liter bottle. The overall shape of both bottles is sleek and easy to grasp with one hand or conveniently carry with a finger through the loop in the cap. Also, both bottles can be comfortably held and flipped open with one hand, although those with smaller hands may prefer the 0.75 liter bottle, which is also more likely to fit into car cup holders.
Although the Amazon.com description does not state it, these are 100% BPA-free just like the older Camelbak bottles!
I rarely write reviews for products, but Camelbak water bottles are one of the best purchases I have ever made. If you are looking for a new water bottle, want to drink more water, or just want to be more environmentally conscious, I highly recommend you try this bottle. You will certainly not be disappointed with the high quality, practically indestructible construction. Plus, the sizes and color options on Amazon cannot be beat. I now have 3 of these Eddy bottles and will update the review over time after I see how they hold up.
I have now used the Eddy bottles for 2 months. They have gone everywhere with me and been dropped countless times but still look and work great. One note is that putting the cap and bite valve in the dishwasher may loosen the the flip mechanism, although it still snaps in place and is still 100% functional – I recommend hand washing these parts if you think this may bother you. When reassembling, push the straw all the way into the cap, or it may touch the bottom of the bottle and limit flow.
After 9 months, I am still very happy with my purchase. When the bite valve or spout in the cap need scrubbing, I have found that cotton q-tips or mini-cleaning brushes used for baby bottles work well. Make sure not to push the cleaning tool through the bite valve slit, as this can loosen it and result in leaks. If you do need to replace the bite valve, Amazon conveniently sells 2 Groove Bite Valves (same as the Eddy bite valves) for $6 with free shipping. If there is something wrong, it is also easy to replace it through Camelbak by simply filling out an online request form.
After trying dozens of other reusable bottles my wife and I tried out the Camelbak “Better Bottle” (750 ml) and fell in love with it about three years ago. We use them everyday, at work, the gym and everywhere in between. After considerable abuse the spout caps broke and the spout connectors had come unhinged so we needed new bottles. We were a bit hesitant but liked the way the design looked for the new Camelbak “Eddy” (750 ml). Verdict: The Eddy is better than the Better bottle.
– Spout cap is now fully covered and integrated as part of the removable rubber bite valve cover which protects it from being damaged. Great idea to protect the integrity of the spout and it also works to protect things the bottle may knock into. The Better Bottle’s cap end, which you use to flip the spout open was exposed and made of hard plastic…needless to say the thing was just begging to be chipped or broken with every drop or fumble. Great upgrade!
- Bottle tops are a little more sleek-looking and the plastic seems to be a bit softer and more supple. Again, a bonus for when (not if) you drop this thing. You likely will not damage it, but when it is full it is pretty hefty. Softer plastic may save it from damaging whatever it hits.
- The plastic straw is bigger, meaning it is wider and can draw more fluid in. Much needed upgrade. My biggest complaint with the Better Bottle was that you would have to work a little too hard to draw fluid up, especially during workouts when you are really thirsty and want water fast. The bigger straw is a big bonus.
- Bottle top seems to be a better (tighter) fit. We had some issues with the Better Bottles leaking when not screwed on SUPER tight. That may have been from washing and use, but the tops on the Eddy seem to be a easier and tighter fit.
- Camelbak guarantees the product for life. I doubt I will have to test their policy out, but that should make you feel confident in this purchase.
- The bottle top for the Eddy, like the Better Bottle, has little nooks and crannies where mold will grow if you don’t wash religiously. It will also grow in the straw pretty easily. You just can’t stick it in the dishwasher and guarantee that you get it all clean. You pretty much have to use a small brush to get in there and get the mold out. I recommend getting the cheapest brushes you can find, not the overpriced Camelbak kit (we actually use our daughter’s baby bottle brushes). Also, the Camelbak cleaning tabs, while super convenient, are also a waste of money. Just get a big generic bottle of distilled white vinegar, mix it at a three-to-one parts ratio of water to vinegar and use that solution to sanitize it and clean out the mold. We try to soak the bottle in the solution once a month or so for a few hours, brush clean all the parts with the solution, and then drop it all in the dishwasher to get the solution (and its horrible taste and smell) off. We just drop them in the dishwasher once a week for routine maintenance without using the solution for a quick clean.
- The Eddy on Amazon is a bit overpriced. We bought our first two Eddy bottles at $15 a pop with free Prime shipping. Not bad, but we found a better deal with free shipping (not two day, but close) online and got three more Eddy bottles for $12 a pop.
- Amazon is listing the 750ml Eddy as a “Kid’s” bottle…its not the Kid-sized version. Also, many of the pictures don’t match up with the actual product you are getting on Amazon’s site. Just do a little research and you should be fine.
That’s it. Great product for you and the environment. Probably the best $15 you will ever spend as it will probably pay for itself in month or two.
Bought my first one five years ago and still am using it was my bedside water bottle with no replacement hoses or tips. Has saved me from spilling water on phone, iPad , floor on countless occasions. Safe clean and secure, it’s like having your personal water dispenser on the side of the bed. Bought one for fiancé when she moved in and we both can sleep knowing that neither the cats, dogs or ourselves are going to spill water on our electronics. Have dropped it countless times and built like a Tonka truck, no cracks or leaks after five years!!!
No spills and it allows me to drink the water that I need throughout the day. Not bad at all.
I absolutely love all camelbak water bottles. This one shipped quickly, arrived in perfect shape. Would highly recommend to anyone.
I love this bottle! I’ve only had it for a couple of days but I’ve used it every single day since I got it. I make sure to clean it every day after I use it to prevent any bacteria or mold build up in the bite valve, lid, and straw. It’s quite easy to clean so that isn’t a hassle at all! I love it!!
This water bottle is great. You will drink so much water once you buy it. it’s incredibly durable, looks good, and won’t leak. I would definitely recommend any camelbak products!
Love this item! Huge water bottle, stays cold, holds a lot! I love that the straw is detachable so I can use it while I am at work with the straw or chug it back while Im playing softball! Love the new mouth piece too!